guitar

guitar
g

Friday, May 11, 2012

10 on Thursday. On Friday.

1.  This 10 on Thursday challenge with Marianna is a lot harder than I expected it to be.  It takes a while to upload pictures and write about the week.  Obviously I didn't do it last week....but that does not mean I'm going to do 20 this week!

2.  Garrison's last day of school was Tuesday.  That deserves a post of it's own.  (Maybe soon I'll blog about it!).

3.  Mrs. Robin, his teacher, said that he and Ethan race shopping carts.  They say 1, 2, 3 together, and then Ethan says "Go" and they race! 

4.  One day last week we were running at the Riverwalk, and there was a turtle on the path.  I picked it up to show Garrison, but he was scared of it.  He kept saying, "Down.  Down.  Down."  I was going to bring it home - his first pet turtle!  But he was too scared.  I put it back down in the woods, and he said "bye bye".

5.  He is saying so many words lately.  He will repeat words after us, like elbow.  But he's saying a lot of words unprompted:
- hurt.  If he bumps his leg or foot, he will say hurt.  I tried cutting his fingernails one day, and he kept saying "hurt" over and over.  I had to assure him it wasn't going to hurt. 
- bath.  The first time I heard him say bath was after dinner one night.  I asked if he was ready to get out of his chair and he said, "bath."
- sit down.  If he wants one of us to sit down, he will say "sit down" and pull on our leg.  He will even add "Mama sit down" or "Dada sit down."
- more please.  We are trying to teach him to add please when he wants something.
- hot.  When we put food on his plate, he will say "hot."  Yesterday he was running through the house with Will, and Will said he put his hand on his forehead and said "hot."  So he's understanding the use of hot for other objects as well as himself.
- Bo Bo eat.  Last night the dogs were eating and he said "Bo Bo eat."  Will and I immediately looked at each other - it was the first time either of us have heard him say "eat."
- fish.  One day this week I met Emily for lunch at Stromboli's in Starkville.  There is a giant blow up fish hanging from the ceiling.  Garrison pointed at it and said "fish."
- work.  When I ask where Will is, he will say "work."  A couple of times he said "at work" for my mom.
- Riverwalk.  Every time we go to run at the riverwalk he says riverwalk.  It sounds more like "ri ri wa" but I know what he's saying!  He will say it even if we drive by the riverwalk and he sees it!
- big bite.  He had a mouth full of Frosted Mini Wheats and said "big bite."
- all gone.  This morning he drank all the milk in his cup and said "all gone."

I should have broken up all of #5 and I would have had 20 things!


6.  Both dogs have been sick.  Bo has an ulcer on his eye, and we have to give him eye drops 4 times a day.  Tozer had an allergic reaction to something and broke out in whelps all over his body.  We have to give him an antibiotic 3 times a day.  Yeah, we are horrible pet owners.

7.  My mom said last week she was reading a book to him and he licked his finger and then turned the page.  I think that's hilarious.  I wonder where he's seen that!

8.  Tuesday before school I had to run down to the studio to get something.  I left Garrison in the car (it was locked).  When I came back up Will had pulled up and we were standing outside the car talking.  I peeked in the window and Garrison had gotten his lunch box, unzipped it, opened the red container and started eating his peanut butter and jelly sandwich!  We both died out laughing.  We didn't know he knew how to unzip it!  When I dropped him off at school I told Mrs. Robin so she would know why his sandwich was in pieces and half was eaten.  She said, "Mrs. Robin taught you well."  I remember last August when he started school they told us he had to eat lunch by himself.  I was so worried because at that point we still fed him everything.  How far he's come and how much she's taught him in just a short period of time!

9.  For some reason Garrison calls Tozer "Ka Ka."  The other day he touched Tozer's eye and said "Ka Ka's eye."  Then did the same to his nose and ear!  Sweet Tozer just lets Garrison pull and roll all over him. Bo runs from Garrison!

10.  Last weekend was Market Street Festival.  It was miserably hot.  Our friends Orlando and Shay, Kalyn, some of her friends, and Nazir all came by the studio to see us.  Kalyn and her friends had to use the bathroom.  We closed the bathroom to the public.  A little while later I walked to the bathroom and Lora, one of the cooks from the Cafe, poked her head out of the kitchen and said some kids had just used the bathroom.  I said, "Yeah, they are our friends."  She said, "No, they were black."  I said, "Yeah, they were our friends."  It was like she didn't believe me the first time I said they were our friends because they were black.  I don't want Garrison to grow up around racism like that.  I want to teach him that God made everyone equal, no matter our skin color.  He loves Uncle O just as much as he loves anyone, and I'm so thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment