guitar

guitar
g

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

1st week of school at St. Paul's

I should just go ahead and write a disclaimer about this post....it's going to be long and detailed.  But I don't want to forget the little things that happened this week.

This was Garrison's first week at St. Paul's Episcopal Day School.  One day a few weeks ago Will and I started talking about him needing a more structured program.  Someone recommended St. Paul's, we went to visit, and signed him up.  It all happened that fast!  But we really felt comfortable sending him there (and we know he doesn't have to stay ALL day EVERY day).

So this weekend we really talked up his NEW school.  Sunday afternoon we drove to it and pulled into the parking lot.  We were trying to talk Garrison into being excited!

All Monday morning we talked about going to his NEW school.  We packed his backpack and headed to school.  Will and I both took him, and we got there about 8:45.  Well, all the other kids were there already!  When we opened the door to his classroom, they all ran up to him.  Kids that age are funny.  They don't really interact a lot with each other, but they like to stare!  They are just curious and soaking it all in.  Well all the kids really overwhelmed G, and he started backing up into Will's legs.  His teacher came over and took his hand, all the while we are pushing him into the classroom!  He turned around and looked at us with big crocodile tears!  Whew.  I wanted to run in and get him and take him home with me!!!  We had to talk to Ms. Susie, the director for a minute, and when we walked back by his classroom, his teacher was holding him!  I'm sure he loved that!

I picked him up from school on Monday.  When I pulled into the parking lot, I saw his class on the playground.  He was playing in the rocks by himself.  It made me sad because I want him to have friends. 

Every morning I have been praying with him on the way to school.  We name the kids in his class (that I know), and I pray that he makes friends.  I also pray that he keeps his sweet spirit and tender heart and doesn't pick up bad habits from other kids!  Even at age 2 we want him to be a light that shines!

Tuesday morning was a little easier.  When I dropped him off (Will didn't go), he cried just a little, but not very much.  His morning teacher is Ms. Anita.  And she is wonderful.  We really are blessed to have her as his teacher.  She told us that one year she potty trained 13 kids in her classroom! 

When I picked him up Tuesday, his afternoon teacher (Mrs. Wilda) said that he had been more talkative and had played with his friends more!!

Tuesday night we had a parent/teacher conference.  Everyone met at the beginning, and each teacher stood up to introduce themselves.  When Ms. Anita stood up, Garrison yelled from across the room, "Nita!!"  It was precious.  She laughed and told us that when he wakes up from his nap he calls for her!  I just thought it was awesome that after only two days he would call her name in a room full of people!  It showed me that he loves her already!

This morning when I pulled into the parking lot, I said, "Look Garrison, we are at school" And he responded, "NEW."  He was still hesitant to walk into his classroom, but there were no tears.....from him or me!!  Although by about 9:15 I wanted to go check him out!

Will picked him up this afternoon.  He wanted to pick him up early because he had to go to Starkville for practice.  He knew if he didn't get him from school, that he wouldn't see him today.  Ms. Wilda and Ms. Susie both told him that this morning some of the boys in his classroom were being bad (thank goodness it wasn't G!).  They had to get on to them, and it upset Garrison.  They don't know if it scared him or if he was upset because they were getting in trouble.  But they said it took a long time to console him and for him to calm down.  I just love his tender heart and don't want it to get trampled on.  Whew....my protective Mama side is coming out!!  Don't mess with my baby!


No comments:

Post a Comment