guitar

guitar
g

Monday, August 1, 2011

my second 5k

I've never considered myself a runner.  I didn't run in high school.  I think I ran once in college and had shin splints so bad I had to go to the training room for treatment in the whirlpool.  I ran a little in seminary.  There was a little pond close to the apartment I lived in, and I would run around that while going through notes for a test in my head.  I remember being able to think clearly while outside - it was a nice change from studying in my room, or Starbucks, or the library.

When we lived in Little Rock, there was a park right across the street from our house.  I wish I had taken advantage of that park more!  It was the perfect place to go for a run. 

And I'm using the term "run" is used VERY loosely.

Before we started infertility treatments, I decided I wanted to run a half marathon.  Crazy, right?  But then we started intense treatments, and I didn't want to do anything to jeopardize getting pregnant.  So I quit.  I think I ran 7 miles one day and then didn't run again for 3 years.

So obviously there is a trend here of running.  Not running.  Running.  Not running.

I'm in the running phase again.  And I love it.  It's so blazing hot right now that I'm having to run around 6:30 in the evenings.  Will is such a great dad - he will let me go run and do the bedtime routine with Garrison.  I'm so thankful for him....and I don't tell him that enough.  So right now I'm training for a half marathon.  Actually it's a little longer - it's 14.2 miles (instead of 13.1).  It's September 4 in Tupelo.  At 5 AM!!!!  I hope Will is awake by the time I get to the finish line!  5 AM is EARLY for us.  Extremely early.  I know it's going to be a challenge to finish the race, but I'm actually more worried about it being so early in the morning than I am about running it!  I know my adrenaline will be pumping, though!

This past Friday night my friend Mary Meghan and I ran in a 5K in Tupelo.  I was proud of my time - 30:38!!  It was HOT and they only had water at one point during the race - at the 2.4 mile mark.  And it was hilly - the race started by going uphill!  Talk about discouraging!  But I chuckled a little as I passed Will and Josh when we started - they were sitting in the grass!


No comments:

Post a Comment